Now that everyone has had a day to get used to the new Stickers page on getglue.com I decided to throw out my impressions on it. Hit the jump for the full skinny, because this is one of those book-length posts.
1. The new organization! Having a list of all the stickers that are currently available and are upcoming is a great boon to everyone. Having them back in a coherent fashion that we can browse through is even better!
2. No more having to break out your 'Droid or iWhatsit to fire up the app, get the names of the sticker placeholders, and then going back to your browser and bust out the URL trick to get the images of upcoming stickers. The new stickers show up in their groups.
3. The Search function rocks! It beats the hell out of having to dig through multiple groups just to find one sticker.
1. No listing of the stickers that are no longer available, either in the main section of that item's stickers or on a separate tab. One could argue that by default if the sticker isn't listed then it's no longer available, but it'd be nice to have a tab for retired stickers, if for no other reason than to have a location where all of them are gathered so people can check to see if they're wasting their time trying to get the Glee Rocky Horror sticker or some other one that's long since gone (They're still trying! Knock it off already, people!)
2. No indication as to whether a sticker is actually live or not. While I'm all for drumming up publicity for upcoming events, books, and music, it's more than a bit annoying to see a stack of stickers that you can't yet earn. It's even more annoying to see everyone and their dog checking-in to the topic without even looking to see if the topic has a release date in the future. Example: I've seen scads of people checking in to American Masters: Lennonyc and the show doesn't even premiere for another week yet. Protip: a little bit of research on the front-end will save you time in the long run.
3. When you view your own or someone else's stickers they're still in the order you earned them. While that makes logical sense, it still makes it a bitch to figure out which stickers you do and don't have in comparison to your friends.
4. No indication of when new sticker groups show up, short of poring over the list every day and looking for something new or waiting for it to get featured on the front page. Example: The Resident Evil: Afterlife stickers group just showed up today out of the blue. No fanfare, no announcement. If you've got the mobile app then at least the placeholders show up immediately when these get pushed out to give indication that there's something new coming down the pipe. Why doesn't the website get the same treatment?
Now while the Dislikes may outnumber the Likes here, that is by no means an indication of my overall enthusiasm for this update. The Stickers page is a more than welcome addition to GetGlue's site and greatly enhances its usability and utility. I'm definitely enjoying it and I'm looking forward to what improvements GetGlue has in store for us in the future!