Monday, November 8, 2010

An interesting little tidbit...

Those of you who have chatted with me on GetGlue know that much to my chagrin I don't have a smartphone capable of running the GetGlue app. That should be rectified in the near future (mid-December or so, when I plan on getting an Android-based phone), but that's not the crux of this post. The placeholders the apps contain is. You see, an interesting little bug (maybe a feature) on GetGlue's website has been brought to my attention, from sources I will not name. This has been around for a while but was only recently shown to me. From what I understand the placeholders in the apps give you the sticker name but no images. What I've found out is that using that sticker name one can go to their sticker page and potentially get a look at the image of a sticker, before it goes live. You won't get any of the flavor text that goes with it, but you can still see the image. As proof, I offer an image of the Nova Scientist sticker:



"But how did you get that?" I can hear you asking. A little bit of URL-fu, grasshoppah. If you go to your stickers page and click on one of them to view the large image of it, you'll notice the URL looks something like this:

http://getglue.com/[your_user_name]/stickers/[sticker_name]

Obviously, [your_user_name] is your actual user name and [sticker_name] is the name of the sticker you're viewing. You'll note that if the sticker name is more than one word or has punctuation in it that the punctuation is removed and the spaces are turned into underscore marks. For example, the above sticker's URL name would be "nova_scientist" (without the quotes, of course.) By extrapolating this information, we can substitute the known name of any sticker in an attempt to view the image associated with it, such as the aforementioned Nova Scientist sticker. Try it out with your own sticker listing and see what you can find!

This leads into section number two of the post. Knowing this ability exists then my plan is to set up a previews page to showcase upcoming stickers as they are teased. This page will also act as somewhat of a museum of sticker history in that we know that some stickers are changed after they are released and it would be interesting to see what the preliminary design was in comparison to the final design. This page is in the works and should go live in a few days.

10 comments:

  1. hello
    due to my not-so-good english, i didn't understand if you NOVA SCIENTIST sticker is a fake or a teaser of a missing one?
    thanks for responding me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. as i can see it also works with the Avatar ones (pandoran, the journey continues, ultimate avatar experience)

    someone knows when they come available?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nova Scientist is one GetGlue mentioned a while back and have teased pictures of in the background of their Twitter account. Despite this they still haven't made it available, so it's safe to say this one hasn't been released. As for the other stickers that currently have place-holders in the mobile apps, we have good guesses as to when they'll be available but no real concrete way of telling what their requirements will be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. and that's how to find out clue to the bonus sticker dexter ever asked you before ...^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Tech Paradox! I check your site everyday, your so informative and I'm excited for this discovery!! Can't wait for more news :)
    Also while I'm here, do you know what to do to get the Yenta, Insult Artist and Egomaniac stickers? Thanks a lot :) Staying tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ cureme : i still missed those stickers too ;-)
    for the egomaniac one, it's said on the FAQ that we need to check in curb your enthousiasm AND larry david... it's seems not to be enough :( i thought that "insult artist" is for the politically incorrect shows, stand up, etc. but it doesn't seem to be a real clue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks @SeventyOne! Thats more info/clues than I knew!! I try to check out people who have the sticker to see what they've been checking in to but so far it's a dead end! People seem to receive them while checking into shows like True Blood and I've checked into that over 50 times! My only conclusion was that I need to check into the top shows over 100 times...? I'll keep ya posted and thanks again for the info :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where's my thanks for letting you know about this ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great. It really lets you see stickers you don't even have. I just tried it with "pandoran" and "gossip_girl" =)... hope they release those soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. FYI: Miami Metro sticker shows, but no clue to the cut sticker.

    ReplyDelete