Thursday, November 4, 2010

Time to air my beefs...

No Mythbusters last night... No Dexter last weekend... It's enough to make one think that GetGlue has forgotten about the new stickers for them. I'm sure they haven't, but it's still a pretty sneaky way to drive traffic to the site. They said there would be Mythbusters stickers all season. To me that means "every week", not "we're going to have four or five and the weeks we let you earn them are going to be completely random, starting with an eleventh-hour notice on the premiere sticker." (Yeah, I'm still bitter about that. So sue me.) It's the same thing with the Dexter stickers. We had them every other week for a month, which made sense; a sticker for that week and the bonus sticker could be considered the next week's sticker. And now... nothing. It's more than a bit of a letdown. I also have to wonder how the Third Cut sticker got leaked. They seem to lock down everything else on the site with regards to stickers and when they can be earned; why wasn't this one behind a time and date lock in addition to the phrase? Was GetGlue just hoping that no one would figure out the phrase until the clue went out with the sticker? Security through obscurity is no defense. Was there supposed to be a sticker last weekend and someone forgot to flip the switch? That just makes one want to *facepalm* and shake their head.

Item Number Two on my list'o'gripes is a combined issue with check-ins. Specifically, short time windows on check-ins and broken check-ins. This past week we had a sticker for PBS Newshour that was available only during the run of the show, from 11:00 PM to 12:00 AM. Am I the only one who thinks it's absolutely insane to expect users to stay up into the wee hours of the morning, just so they can artificially inflate GetGlue's site hits for them while earning a sticker? I'll get back to the inflated site hits in a bit, but the time window thing is even worse for the overseas users. Instead of checking-in to the shows to earn their stickers during the standard prime-time hours, they have to stay up until oh-dark-thirty to be able to pick them up. How is this fair? The internet is a global medium, not constrained by the boundaries of countries and the limits of geography. Show some love for the users that are in other countries or the users that time-shift the shows. Make the check-in window for show stickers last a full 24-hours. It'll benefit everyone. The actual users who watch the show will still check-in during the show's time. Those that TiVo the show can still check in up to 24 hours later and earn their badge. The overseas users will have a greater window of opportunity. Sticker hunters will spam it no matter what the window is. Everyone is happy. Well, except maybe those who get hit by broken check-ins. Part two of this gripe really burns my ass every time I see GetGlue throw out a Tweet regarding the number of check-ins they get on the weekends. They toot their own horn about how many people are hitting the site. While I can see bragging about your accomplishments, how many of those check-ins are repeats from people trying to earn a sticker and failing because the check-in system broke yet again? More than one person I know of missed getting the special PBS sticker, simply because their check-ins didn't register. Multiple clicks from multiple users equals an inflated hit count, leading to bad statistics. How about you give us the count of hits from unique IP addresses instead?

Item number three is more of a wish-list item, and will probably get re-hashed in Wish List 3: The Wishening, but suffice it to say I feel like it bears mentioning right now. How about a change to the stickers listing on the website that's more along the lines of what is shown on the phone apps? I keep hearing repeatedly from my friends that the iPhone or Android app has a placeholder for "sticker X". They've essentially got an early warning system that lets them know what's coming up. What do the web site users have? Jack squat. What do the non-Droid and non-iPhone users have? The same jack squat. How about giving those of us who can't access those the same ability to see the upcoming stickers? Throw that in with the wishes for the ability to sort the stickers listing.

Ok... ranting over with. I'm out for the night, unless some new sticker crawls out of the woodwork unexpectedly. Have fun out there and don't forget to check into Dexter, Boardwalk Empire, and Sherlock on Sunday.

13 comments:

  1. I've gotta agree with you -- especially on the time-frame issues... I was ass deep in alligators during that 11p-12m timeframe from Election night. The hazards of working in the news biz, I guess....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The clue of Third Cut sticker from Masuka sticker is:
    "When Dexter brings pastries to work, what is Masuka’s traditional pick?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Amran - Cool! I was wondering about that. How did you get the phrase? Did someone earn a Masuka sticker that the rest of us weren't able to get? Or was that from some other source? (no need to name names if it was)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My biggest beef is that when you order physical copies of your stickers they send you only a fraction of the ones you actually have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I've seen more than one person who posted pics to Twitter and it looked like they got somewhere between ten and twelve stickers out of the hundred or so they had earned at the time they ordered them. I'm thinking they're lucky - more than one person I know has ordered their stickers and hasn't received a darned thing despite a wait time of 2-3 months.

    ReplyDelete
  6. totally agree with everything - I have been on a rant on the site (& twitter) for while now about the unfairness of the check-ins for non US (time zone) users, I do have some help from other users but there are some things that either we have never heard of or can use.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree! I've requested stickers 3 times and haven't gotten ANY. Furthermore, I got the standard "SuperFan" sticker for checking into Sara Bareilles, but I can't get the special Sara Bareilles superfan sticker to pop, despite having liked all her albums, checked in to everything I can, reviewed everything, and emailing/tweeting Glue repeatedly with no response. It's REALLY frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ rhit2004 so you mean they don't send you all the stickers you earned so far? why am i still doing this shite then? getting up at 3 in the night to try and get the stickers i want (because i live in europe).....i requested mine a week ago(like 400 stickers), i will see when and how much stickers i will get.keep you posted.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Al - from what we've seen thus far in pictures posted to Twitter messages and based on anecdotal evidence from a couple other people who have actually received their stickers, the recipients have only received about 10% of the stickers they had earned at the time of them requesting their stickers, if that many. This may have changed with the latest mailings, but given that I requested my stickers well over six weeks ago, I'm not holding my breath.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Tech- a thing in the mail today from getglue.... a little envelope , to small to hold 400 stickers :-), 17 stickers in total i got, fast ok , like 8 days , but where is the rest of my stickers? anyone has any idea?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Al - your guess is as good as ours. That's about average for what we've seen people receiving - they'll have a couple hundred stickers on their account and they'll get maybe ten to fifteen of them when they request them. Either GetGlue is having trouble getting some of their stickers produced or they've got a serious shortage of what they are able to keep on hand. If you can, take a picture and post it to Flickr or something so we can at least see what you scored!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll have to comment and agree that the check in times are broken and support kind of sucks in helping you out. Reason being it's happened to me 3xs already. I got the Elections sticker but not the newshour one. I waited for awhile to try to get my Mad Men Season 4 Finale sticker reply after contacting them. I then contacted them once more because I didn't get my Sarah Palin's Alaska Just for the Halibut sticker. All support replied back was that I didn't check in at the correct alloted time to receive the sticker. That's total BS because I checked in when I was actually watching Sarah's show on TV lastnight (checked in to BWE while it was being DVRed) It still irks me that they can't fix it somehow. It would have teed me off even more if the sticker, was say for Boardwalk Empire and they told me the same thing. I'm still angry about the Mad Men sticker even more! Bah Getglue has to get their act together regarding this.

    ReplyDelete